Why would I want to soak?
It gives us opportunity to wait quietly in the Lord’s presence to hear directly from Him. It gives us time to open up and receive from the Lord.
How do I know I need to soak?
- If you are spiritually dry, soaking can revitalize your spirit.
- If you long to move more powerfully in the gifts of the Spirit, soaking can help you hear God clearly.
- If you are looking for fresh vision and direction in life, soaking can bring it.
- If you are about to start something new and need the Lord’s strengthening, soaking can refresh you.
- If you are searching for an answer to some problem/situation, soaking can help you find the way.
- If you carry responsibilities, soaking can lift the burden.
- If you are trapped by habitual sin, soaking can empower you to break free.
- If you are having relational difficulties, soaking can give you new resources of grace, patience and love.
- If you simply want to have more intimacy in your love for your heavenly Father, soaking can take you deeper.
How do I start my soaking time?
Begin by relaxing quieting your mind and entering into rest rather than striving to have an experience. The idea is not to get something but to be with someone. Soaking will never be a waste of time when we spend time with the One we love! Relax and trust God.
Do I have to lie down?
No, you can soak sitting in a chair if you find it more comfortable. Being still and at rest is the key. Lying down helps to minimize the distractions cause by activity in the room.
Once I get up can I come back for more?
Yes, it is often good to get up, have a break and pray over things that the Lord has shown you (either on your own or with another), write things down so you won’t forget, then return and soak some more. Just be sensitive to others about you and move quietly.
How long do I stay down for?
It takes most people at least ten minutes before they stop thinking about the day’s events or future plans, and come to a place of rest. So it’s unlikely that you would get much out of soaking if you do it for less than fifteen minutes.
We have found that the Holy Spirit often comes in waves. As you wait, another wave will come to take you deeper into the presence of the Lord. So, the longer you soak the better.
How will I know when God is finished?
The more you soak the easier it will become to recognize when to stop. Often you will sense a lifting of the anointing and a reviving of energy.
Remember, you will never get beyond the need for more of the Holy Spirit.
How will I know if soaking is doing me any good?
People will experience Jesus in many ways. You might sense a weight upon your body, an electric tingling upon your hands or face, or a warm sensation of love going through your heart which connects you to Him. Occasionally people become quite emotional. Some see visions or have encounters with Jesus. Others experience profound heart changes. Fears are dispelled, people receive freedom from depression, physical healing takes place, and lives are transformed. Some or any of the above will begin to show up in your life.
What if I fall asleep?
That’s perfectly valid. Deep, Holy Spirit sleep is very good for us, especially in difficult and stressful times. (Gen 2:21, 15:12, Dan 10:8-10, Luke 9:32)
Can I trust it is the Holy Spirit working?
Give the Holy Spirit permission to work in your heart – don’t try to analyze things. The Lord has no favourites. He will always give the Holy Spirit to those who ask:
“If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him?” (Luke 11:11-13)
He is trustworthy to fulfill all that He has promised.